June 10, 2006

Naked People and The Cost of Oil




Today marks the day for the third annual World Naked Bike Ride.

In at least twenty-five cities around the world, including London, Chicago, and Sydney, the streets will be filled with spandex-less laddies and, even better, lassies. It's a saddle sniffers paradise...if there ever was one!

You might wonder why, on this overtly political blog, I have chosen to write about this particular event. I'll tell you. It's all about oil..or at least reducing our dependancy on that volitile, expensive, and war inciting product. So I guess I'll do my bit and give them a piece of my own little forum in order to support and applaud their bold and sincere efforts. Plus it gives me a good excuse to put pictures of naked people into my otherwise boring blog.

I cannot take credit for the photographs... I don't even own a camera... but I am sure that whoever did take these photos wouldn't mind them being posted here. It is all in a good cause.




Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting The cost of oil is rising. The price of crude is up over 30% higher than it was a year ago. This is largely due to the continuing crisis in the Middle East. The war in Iraq goes on, despite the demise of al-Qaida's leader in the last week. Oil production in Africa has been curtailed by at least 800,000 barrels a day due to the violence and unrest in that country. And then there is Venezuela, where the national leader is fast becoming a member of the American "Most Wanted" list. Add all these things together, chuck in a few hurricaines for good measure, and then add a certain percentage for gouging and profiteering, and you have a pretty good idea of what the future holds for the price of oil. Here in Britain we are already paying the eqivalent of $6.00 a gallon...and it won't get any better in this tax-happy country.