April 12, 2006

Personal: Pancake Maker



The painting here is by an artist called Brouwer. He is one of those wonderful Dutch artists that I love. The picture is called "The Pancake Maker". This blog isn't about art...it is about cooking.

I like making breakfast. I make my own pancakes. Jane likes them with lemon juice and sugar, I like them with maple syrup. I also scramble a nice egg, cook some lovely streaky bacon, and heat up a mean Italian plum tomato. I like granery bread, toasted, with jam or marmalade. I dig it all with hot, rich, sweet coffee or a big mug of sugared tea (one teaspoon of sugar please).

But this blog isn't about breakfast either. It is about a recipe I learned while working nights in a big hotel. One of my duties was preparing light meals and snacks throughout the night. Room service with a smile. Anyway here is this recipe I learned and improved upon: It is called: Chicken, Bacon, and Avocado Salad

First I heat some vegetable or olive oil in a wok. Then I put in about two chicken breasts cut into large chunks. These cook until white through, and then I add about five rashers of bacon cut into one inch pieces. The meatier the bacon the better the result. These cook together until properly cooked. Then drain the excess liquids, and add two avocadoes cut into large pieces. Cook all three together until avocadoes are warm through.

Take a large bowl and fill with a variety of lettuce leaves, Not Iceburg.

Pour the cooked chicken, bacon, and avocado onto the bed of lettuces. Mix it all up. Then pour the special dressing over the lot and enjoy. This is a lovely starter or light meal.

The dressing I just love with this is made up of maple syrup and dijon mustard in a four to one ratio.

Try this out. It all takes about six minutes to make (not including the preparation). You'll love it.