March 03, 2006

Politics: sitting upright reading the news


Browsing the news from USA this morning. The Bush administration is arguing that prisoners at Guantanimo are exempt from legislation proposed by Sen. McCain. This legislation would make torture illegal. Of course the Bush people reserve the right to torture anybody they like in their private prisons. They also sub-contract torture to foriegn governments who have no McCain style legislation.

I believe that the founding fathers must be turning in their graves.


In another article it appears that a senate committee has rejected a bi-partisan proposal for an independant office to oversee the enforcement of congressional ethics. In 2004 over 3 billion dollars was spent by corporations and other groups lobbying public officials. Why would they want this money to stop flowing into their pockets. Money is power after all.




Finally I would just like everyone to know that my back is killing me. The old sciatica is back with a vengeance. It has been quite some time since I suffered from an attck of this sort. I suppose that I must have let my posture slip and now I am paying the price. All those times I heard those stupid words: "Sit up straight!" I rebelled against sitting up straight. I went out of my way to slouch. I slouched everywhere..even standing up I slouched. Now I am paying the price. No more slouching for me...but the couch is so comfortable and slouch friendly..I am going to sit upright, feet flat on the floor, and flip Mr. Backpain the bird.

I think I'll start tomorrow......first thing.